wildest storys that are true

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, May 16, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I landed 2 steelhead at the same time on one rod. I wish I could say that is was fly fishing but this was pulling divers on the Wynoochee river. Had a takedown and the fish crossed the other line before I could reel it in. Then it went down. Thought it was the crossed line but nope we had a double. At this point the fish were both going airborn in different directions and the lines were completely toasted. Then my buddy's line snapped above the diver and I now had two steelhead going off my rod at a Y from the tangled divers. I managed to get both fish on the bank! A 12lb buck and 10lb hen. The whole time I thought for sure they were gonna get off. My buddy Chris and I just looked at eachother in disbelief. It was one in a million.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

NW_flyfisher and Peyton00 like this.
  2. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Hooked a resident silver. Harbor seal saw said silver and went for it. The seal executed a perfect coho roll and got tangled up past the leader and into the fly line. Was afraid cutting the line would result in the seal drowning. Hand over handed the "small" seal to the beach. It showed it's appreciation by smiling and singing my praise. The sight of those teeth and that incessant braying blocked up all of my synapses. Those things are crazy flexable and every approach was quickly aborted. Started pulling the line towards it's tail when I could get it's head away from me and was able to slide the tangled mass off of it. It just stood there and barked at me. I thought it might be injured and started heading toward my truck to get to a pay phone (pre cell phone days) and call 911. It started to follow me! I stopped and it stopped and just kept barking. After a minute or so of this I charged it and it fumbled it's way into the sound, swam out 20 feet or so and started barking again. I went home.

3. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

That was a good story one where it could be a tail or the truth good story

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I once caught a fish by hooking the loop on a snelled hook that somebody else had left in the fish`s mouth .

Thomas Williams likes this.
  5. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I have many crazy stories, spending alot of time flyfishing in the backcountry, but the craziest originates close to home. About seven or eight years ago I was fishing Rufus down along the nespelem area. There was a steep bank of scree and gravel behind me, making casting difficult, but I was still hooking up regularly. It was getting close to dusk when I noticed a very large cinnamon colored bear mosey down to the water and start drinking one hundred yards upriver. He then proceeded to walk straight at me along the shoreline. I made noise and threw rocks in the water until he reluctantly scrambled up the bank to go around me. I continued fishing, not thinking much of it. About that time a boat pulled anchor up at the pens and started motoring by me back to the launch. The stopped and pointed and waved, yelling about a huge bear right behind me. I told them we were aware of one another. The shook their heads in disbelief and kept going. I suddenly hooked a good fish, and temporarily forgot about the situation. I played the six pound rainbow in, and was preparing to land it when the fly pulled out. The flyline flew back in my face, and not wanting a tangle I used the inertia to quickly roll cast the slack out the other direction. When I turned to execute this maneuver, I was shocked to find the bear at my right shoulder. It had circled and snuck right up on me. By reflex more than anything I whipped my flyrod over the bears head, breaking my favorite Sage. The bear backed off, surprised, and giving me a whipped puppy look, like why did you do that? Then he started jumping up and down, woofing at me. Oh shit!!! I put a Volkswagen sized boulder between us just as he charged. He chased me around that rock for a good fifteen minutes while I desperately called everyone in my directory seeing if anyone was close by with a rifle. About the time I was contemplating a November swim for the boatlaunch around the corner the400 pound bear lost interest and finally moved along. But he was still between me and my truck. I waited a few minutes, collected my shattered nerves, and made a dash to my truck. Three nights later Sgt. Phillips shot the problem bear as it tried to relieve a group of fishermen of their stringer of fish while they were cleaning them at the boatlaunch. It turns out it was a dump bear that got to used to coming down a eating discarded fish guts. So much so that it became territorial over the spot.

dryflylarry, jwg, The Duke and 7 others like this.
  6. NCL

NCL Active Member

Back in the late 50's we used to use salmon eggs that were packed in oil. One morning while steelhead fishing my Dad was making a cast and his hands were oily from the eggs, when he made the cast the rod reel went sailing out of his hand into the river. He then started looking around for a way to retrieve his rod. I came up to the spot started dragging my hook across the bottom and was able to hook his rod, which I was then able to retreive. I handed the rod to my Dad and he clicked the bail closed and we continued to fish. The whole incident from beginning to line retrivalwas about 5 minutes.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It isn't that uncommon to hook a chum salmon that has a spinner in its mouth but back when the chum run was still huge on the Oregon Coast, I hooked a chum with a spinner in its mouth -- but the neat trick was that the fly point was snagged in the eye of the spinner.

What's the chances of snagging a salmon by hooking the eye of a broken off spinner?

Jim Speaker likes this.
  8. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I hooked a Great Blue Heron last year as I let my forward cast fly. It was late, pre-twilight dusky low light stuff. I felt horrified as soon as I let the cast go and saw the GBH flying in from my left. I immediately had to decide whether or not to try and fight it in and get the hook out, or try and break it off. It was a strong enough flyer that it was going airborne despite the drag of the line and reel. I opted to try and break it off. The thought of getting in melee range with a bird the same size as myself wasn't appealing, especially since it was getting dark fast. It was also making all manner of noise, and if you've never heard a GBH squawking, it's reminiscent of a pterodactyl raping a chicken.

So, while it was airborne, I straightened the rod and pulled hard as if I were trying to break free from a snag. The tippet didn't break and the bird immediately fell thirty feet straight into the water. I was again horrified. It again went airborne without much effort and continued its noisy tirade, which I was sure was bringing every federal environmental agent within 3,000 miles running to put me in jail for fucking with this majestic and protected bird.

At this point I realized I wasn't going to break it off unless the bird was in the water. I needed resistance. So again I yarded on the line, and again it dropped straight down into the water. At which point I immediately tightened it up and yanked on that motherfucker like I was the Hulk. And it broke off. I immediately reeled in my stuff, and got the hell out of there.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Another story. I almost had a muskrat on my line at Rocky Ford on Wednesday night. I thought he'd swim over the line, but no... he was pushing it with his mouth/head. I'm glad there was no hookup.

I don't think he would have gotten me into my backing but the short distance tussle might have taken a while.

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

At Chopaka last year, a ruddy duck swam across my fishing buddy's line as he was retrieving his fly, and somehow got securely hooked up. The duck was successfully netted and released after a brief struggle.
    DSCF0046.JPG

Kcahill and Stew McLeod like this.
  11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The only bird I've hooked yet was at 3 Buck Bridge on The Madison. I was fishing a size 18 parachute Adams and a swift flew down and took the fly off the surface. I had a heck of a time landing the tiny bird and was only able to cutt off the tippet material to finally release the poor guy. I have no idea if he made it or not but I kind'a doubt if he did.

I'm surprised it isn't more common that birds take our flies when the birds are feeding on duns.

I have a rule when it comes to flying critters that eat insects... when the bats start showing up in the evening is when I leave the water.

12. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

When I was 10 or so I was fishing with my dad up by Orcas Island I think (so long ago I dont remember where exactly) we where ling cod fishing, using the big ass 3 or 4 pound jig head hook, the whole drop it down to the bottom and reel up 3 or 4 turns routine. I drop my line hits bottom reel up about half a turn and feel my line jump ever so slightly, I yard up on the line to set the hook and nothing. I tell my dad I think I have a fish, he snatchs my pole and gives it a feel and says no nothing their. About 30 minutes go by and my pole bends over like a damn orca is on the other end, I fight the fish for about 10-15 minutes before I tire out. My dad takes over and probably 10 minutes later a massive lingcod comes to the surface. Easily the size of me at the time (weighed in around 50lbs if I remember correctly) We get it into the boat, and what do you know, in its mouth is a tiny (8in) rock fish hooked right in the spine below is dorsal fin. But the best part of the story, the lingcod ws never actually hooked it just wouldn't let go of the rock fish. The best we could figure out is maybe the spines on the rock fish kept it from pulling free out of the cods throat but I guess we will never know. So next time you go cod fishing I challenge you to try catching one without actually hooking it.

13. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

This incident happened early one morning in August 2012 on a Puget Sound tributary. Anyhow, I was fishing a Ska-opper pattern when I felt a sudden increase in line tension. For just a split second, I thought that a steelhead had taken my fly. When I look downriver, I was both shocked and horrified to discover a beaver with my line trailing behind it. Not knowing what the hell to do, I simply followed. At this point, I didn’t know whether the beaver had somehow become entangled in my fly line, or if it had simply been hooked by my fly. It took a couple of minutes, but after figuring out that I had only hooked it, I decided to give my line a sharp, swift yank. This worked, and I ended up getting my line back with all but a 1 foot section of tippet missing. To say the least, I was concerned about any harm that I might have caused it. Fortunately, I observed what I am pretty sure was the same beaver swimming through the run, when I returned to the following weekend.

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

My wife and I were fishing a small put n take lake several years ago. The weekend before we were fishing some unfortunate soul swamped his boat and drowned in the lake. While we were fishing my wife had a mighty strike and hook up which doubled her rod. After a few minutes of struggle she reeled in a nice Fenwick spinning rod and reel. She swore it was the guy's that had drown a few days prior and wouldn't touch it and who knows she could be right. I still have that rod and reel in the garage much to my wife's chagrin. To this day she swears it is the dead guy's rod.

smallieFanatic likes this.
  15. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

after fishing Walupt lake, i kicked a bear in the butt, south of Packwood "many" years ago and treed it after it crossed a logging road and trotted off, not knowing i was chasing it...maybe a two year old, dunno what i was thinking, but i got a cool picture of it, in the tree.