NFR Wine- Wa or CA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Charles Sullivan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

All good advise on WW. If you go and want a good burger and beer, I always stop in at the Mill Creek Brewpub for lunch. There are also some fine dining available in WW.

Steve

2. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Or you could do a redneck Jager bomb-- Equal parts bud light and mountain dew.

3. plugboots

plugboots Member

dick-walla 2 has the info you need for Walla Walla. That said, I stay at the Hampton, but eat at the 3 places he links. I eat at Tmac's on Mondays as the other 2 places are closed then. I don't know why people think BC wine is not as good as WA, as that is just odd, and for your needs, the Kelowna/Oliver area would be great for a trip with your wife. For example, many more wineries have restaurants there, and there are way more Abeja-style places. Check out Burrowing Owl or Hester Creek for starters.

4. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    I lived in BC in the early 1970's. At that time their wines were undrinkable!! Last spring, on the annual fishing trip to BC we bought two bottles. Our verdict is that BC wines have improved over the last 40 years.....now they are merely BAD.

Granted I started drinking wine as an Orthodox alter boy at 10!! And we moved to San Francisco when I was 12, just a hop skip and jump from Napa.

Very few people outside northern California even drank wine in those days. Hardly anybody knew just how good Napa wines were in those days. They were cheap and good!!

I took a bicycle trip through Europe in 1976 and was looking forward to drinking French wines. We purchased a bottle a night for the same price as California wines we drank. The $6 bottles of California wine in 1976 would be selling for a $1.50 in todays dollars.

The French wines were awful in that price range.

Then that fateful day in Paris on May 24th 1976.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

The world finally found out the quality of California wines. Unfortunately, all those wines I bought as a college student and young professional were priced out of pocketbook!! That interest in wine really gave a boost to the Washington wine industry.

The movie Bottle Shock (NetFlix) is not completely true, but it does capture how far into the sticks Napa Valley was considered in 1976. It is a funny movie.

Take some of those BC wines and drink them next to wines from Washington or California. You will notice the difference.

Walla Walla, Yakima Valley, and Paso Robles in California are all great wine regions that are under appreciated in many circles.

There are lots of good wine these days. They tend to be more "similar" than different between the different wineries than in the 1970's.

These days we have a game of buying "decent" wines from Grocery Outlet. Go buy one....and dump down the sink or buy a case. I guess that's what happens when your an alcoholic old fart on a fixed income.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

There's no question that the Napa valley has some of the planet's finest vineyards and wineries. The problem though is that it's simply so damned crowded. There's so much traffic on highway 128/29 between Napa and Callistoga on the weekends that making a left hand turn can take ten minutes or more waiting for a break in the oncoming cars. The press of bodies, the outrageous 'tasting fees', and the limited selection in the few wineries that still even have tasting rooms makes for a less than transcendent experience for me. If I wanted to be around that many people on a 'relaxing' vacation, I'd sooner go to New York City.

K

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

While I am no wine snob, my favs in WW are Walla Walla vintners, Abeja, and Dunham Cellars (owned by a friend of mine.) I have enjoyed several trips to the Napa area and their wines can be amazing, but don't sell the Oliver area short. I think Burrowing Owl can hold its own with any winery down south and the BC wines have gotten a world better in just the last 10 years. Really beautiful country as well!

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

It is also interesting how global warming has adversely effected the Napa area. They are harvesting many of their big red grapes a month earlier than they did 15 years ago. Less hang time equals less quality. Many CA wineries are spending money on vineyard in WA now.

8. Vladimir Steblina

Home Page:
    Rick....which grape for Burrowing Owl. It has to be RED.

I will buy a bottle next month on the annual trip!! Need to be fair to BC wines and give them another chance. We will do a blind tasting!!

9. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Kent, I hear you...but I have a solution. October/November are great months to visit. I was there last November and it wasn't crowded at all. Speed limit drives at all times on 128/29. The weather was a perfect 65-75 degrees everyday. The outrageous tasting fees were still outrageous, however...

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I've had a nice Cab and also a very nice Merlot from Burrowing Owl. It is hard to get Burrowing Owl as it frequently sells out!

11. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

The Chelan/Manson area has over 20 wineries, more vineyards and some outfits that do tours. It's not as big an area as some of the other regions, but the scenery can't be beat.

Lake Chelan Winery has a cool outside restaurant right in one of their vineyards. It's hard to beat a meal with this type of view.

[​IMG]

flybill likes this.
  12. plugboots

plugboots Member

A typical evening for me.
    Whoa!

I enjoy your story and all, but this is simply not enough of a sample size. Besides, for what the OP was looking for, Walla Walla or BC for a trip with his wife, and considering his location, BC would probably be a better choice.

13. Vladimir Steblina

Home Page:
    Those are good choices....since we will be taking up mostly cab's and merlot's.

How much per bottle?? So I can get a Washington wine in the same price range.

Plugpoint....I have not been impressed, so far, with Lake Chelan wines. However, that Lost River Winery in your hometown is pretty good.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Lol. My wife is same way. She pouts when wine cabinet falls under 20 bottles. Usually when we go wine tasting we EASILY come back with a case of wine (not including the case of pre purchased wines she usually has waiting for her in Ellensburg).

Spoke to my wife about this thread. Now she's set on going to Walla Walla. Damned it! Guess I'll visit my cousins while I'm there lol.

15. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

The price range is $20-$40 depending on wine and vintage. Also, try the Hestor Creek Merlot at around $20/bottle-a bargain IMO. I also enjoy Lost Creek and have a couple "growlers" for their Community Red, which is our normal drinking wine when at our Winthrop place! Liam is also a friend of our kids since high school so always fun to visit him at the tasting room! Rick