Winged Wet Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jun 8, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I'm having great fun tying up old style winged wet flies. I figured I needed a refresher as I signed up for the "Married Wing" swap.

On another note I had a fellow board member send me some he tied up. Ended up getting a metal fly box with every clip filled with a winged wet fly. His flies sure are a work of art.

DSC_0739.JPG

DSC_0742.JPG
    One issue I always had with tying winged wets was getting the wings applied properly to the fly. I'd pull one to the proper length, tie it in and then repeat the process on the other side. I ended up with a lot of wings long on one side, short on the other and also sagging down the side of the head where tied in. I found a video mentioned on the Great Feathers site that pointed to another site. I bought that video on fishing and tying winged wets. Turned out there a way faster and easier method to tie the wings and bypass all my issues. Match the wings up in your fingers and then situate them on the top of the fly at the tie in point. Wrap the thread between your fingers and after one or two wraps grab the tip and butt end of the wings to ensure they sit on top of the fly head. An additonal wrap or two, trim butts and then whip finish. A lot neater fly and one that approaches the quality of the ones sent to me.

DSC_0744.JPG

2. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

3. zen leecher aka bill w

I see photos so it must be worth something.:)

4. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

i see them, and they look great!

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I can see them now , I could`nt see them earlier .

They look great !!

6. FT

FT Active Member

Bill,

I have fond memories of fishing wets on a 2 or 3 fly rig both in Pennsylvania and in Montana. It is unfortunate that most folks who have learned to fly fish since the late 70's/early 80's never learned how to fish wet flies. As you know, they are very effective when fished properly and at the proper time.

Oh yeah, these are nice flies.

7. zen leecher aka bill w

The flies in the aluminum box are dubbed with seal fur for the body. The 5 below are with chopped angora goat which is a substitute for seal fur. I need to work on the tie in points for the hackle and wings which I'm getting just a tad too far forward.

8. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Bill,
    I have always liked winged wets. My mentor forty five years ago used snelled winged wet flies. He had shearling books full of them. Sadly, I only have a few of his flies left and they are a bit rusty. Thanks for showing us.
    Jack

9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Nice looking wets Bill, and you're right about mounting the wings, they always look better when tied in at the same time and keeping them on top of the hook is very important. Keep thread wraps to a minimum and use a good wax.
    Give us look when you get some tied up, I'm interested in seeing some. Good luck

Mark

10. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Amazing amazing collection!
    Does anyone know if there are tied fly examples in the Smithsonian collection of American Craft, or where the leading collection(s) might reside?

11. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Tony,
    Try this..........
    Classic Wet Flies - Bergman and Beyond - Global FlyFisher

Tony Abaloney likes this.
  12. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Bill
    Great looking flies and a lot of work you put into these boxes.

I have been interested in wet flies and plan to someday buy Davy Wotten's video. Have you seen his videos? Should i skip his DVD and buy something different?

Thanks for posting and providing us a tip!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

13. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Tony Abaloney likes this.
  14. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Great looking flies, Bill!
    Regarding the flies shown on the Bergman & Beyond page...
    I note that, with the exception of one (Mallard & Claret), all of these flies have the hackle palmered over the body or tied in as a throat only. I checked a couple of my references and many of the same flies were tied with hackle wrapped in the usual fashion, (even specifying 5 turns), then the wing was tied on over the hackle.
    Is tying the hackle as a throat more traditional? Was it a regional thing?
    Any thoughts?

15. zen leecher aka bill w

Lonnie, The guy who gave me the metal fly box of wets tied those. His ties are very (fit in appropriate word) (nice/attractive/well proportioned/....). They have an attractiveness to the eye.

On the 5 below I tied I was using Pearsall's silk for the thread and it's the equivalent of 3/0 thread. The wings need to be placed properly and cut off properly. Any extra material left after cutting the quill ends off needs to be covered with wraps and that is heading right towards a bulky head, either that or having matierial left uncovered at the hook eye. This might be why the old time wet flies were tied in a #6 which made it easier to do heads.

For wax I'm using both Cobbler's wax and 722 Winter wax. Both darken the thread nicely. That's the only waxes I know about (so far).

A "You're Welcome" to all that like the pictures.