Wolves on the Westside?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottr, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

First, chipmunk, I don't belong to the NRA. Second, If I shot your "colored ass"-YOUR words, not mine, I'd not "mistake" you for a deer. third, 150 yards is nowhere near the limit of our skills, but we try to limit shots to kill as humanely and quickly as possible, forth, even if you don't believe we gun for ungulates at 500 yards, that's what you said; if you don't mean it, it would be best to keep your foot out of your mouth. Fifth, hunting with a compound bow permits unethical shots out to about 100 yards or so, much like a muzzleloader-clearly, you haven't ever hunted with one of those, either. I hunt with a traditional bow, not a compound, in addition to one of several rifles. Sixth, bowhunting isn't "any harder" with a bow than it is with a rifle, it's just a different set of skills-but of course you, with your vast hunting knowledge, you know that already!

Last, there you sit, after first delivering an insult to all of us who hunt, and then continue that insult, expecting us to "lighten up" while you enjoy the results of your insult. You claim to not be against hunting, but you know all of us are the "NRA faithful", who just shoot anything that moves. Here's my thought, sport: stay out of the forest; there's dangerous things in there-bears, cougars, wolves, snakes, and us "neanderthal" hunters. The bears, cougars, wolves and us: we're the apex predators; to us, you're just a snack. Now go enjoy your "stove-made" popcorn.

Olive bugger, scottr and Skysoldier like this.
  2. Alex MacDonald

On second thought, maybe this can be a "teachable moment" for Mr. Buchanan, so I'll take a shot at it:

Dear Mr. Buchanan; you clearly have no factual knowledge of good hunters and hunting in general, so I challenge you to learn. I'm offering to take you with me on a scouting trip and a hunt, and will teach you about hunting, hunting ethics, and yes, why wolf introduction isn't a good idea. You'll need a good pair of boots, a blaze orange vest and hat, a day pack with water, snacks, a good knife, firestarting material, clothing to protect you from inclement weather, first aid, a compass and some toilet paper. A camera wouldn't hurt, either. Pre-season scouting doesn't require hunter orange, but going on a hunt in season will.

We'll be on the top of Blewett pass, in an area near Table Mountain. I'll show you how to track and read sign, how to use your long-forgotten nose to scent things, and what it means to be a participant in the forest, not merely a tourist. You can pm me and I'll meet you on highway 97, at the top of the pass.

So there you are. You can sit and mouth off about something you clearly have no knowledge of, or you can begin learning what real hunters actually do. It's your call: fish or cut bait.

3. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Can't say it any better than this.... from the Pres. of RMEF.

“one of the worst wildlife management disasters since the destruction of bison herds in the 19th Century.”

Allen said, “These animal rights groups seem to think that every individual wolf is worth filing another lawsuit to protect, but the decimation of local elk herds is unimportant. What is truly ironic is these folks claim protection of the Canadian gray wolf under the Endangered Species Act. However these wolves are not endangered. There are thousands of them throughout North America. The ESA is being manipulated far beyond its intended purpose.”

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. 206FLYFISHER

206FLYFISHER Member

I'll take you up on your offer. Learning to hunt is one thing. Learning to hunt from a SEAL is pretty baddass. BTW thank you for your service. I mean that from the heart.

scottr likes this.
  5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Finally a thread going to crap takes a positive turn? Let's keep it positive or keep it to ourselves. Alex, I might like to meet up too. Just cause you are a cool cat.

6. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Well done Alex.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

That's one hell of a fine offer, Nate. And kudos to my cyber friend, Alex. Well done.

8. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Damn Alex, can I come along too?

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

[​IMG]

Now look what you've done . . . !

K

10. Alex MacDonald

It'll be my pleasure to have you both along! Right now, I'm scouting around Table Mountain and Naneum Meadow on top of Blewett pass, and am beginning to see plenty of sign. However, today I saw some signs posted that lead me to think the particular road I'd use getting to a campsite may be closed on 15 October. However, we've got several more areas to check out. You guys pm me and we'll begin the process in a week or so.

11. Alex MacDonald

Of course, Big "D"! I have three seats in the rig, but since I'm 6-2, somebody needs to take the short one! Well give it to Ed; he's tiny:D

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

That's cold man.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Dang.... this thread is interesting. I also think we need a 500 yard shoot off.

14. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    The wolf came in, I got my cards, we sat down for a game.
    I cut my deck to the queen of spades, but the cards were all the same.
    Don't murder me, I beg of you, don't murder me. Please, don't murder me.

15. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Cool, Alex used the SEAL card and it worked.