Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Working with wood

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 · (Edited)
I took a few pictures of my grandfathers wood works while at my moms for Mother's Day.
My grandfather worked in furniture factory. He would take whatever wood scraps he could come up with and glue them together to make a block. He would then carve whatever he was going to make out of the block.
He passed away in 1966, but I remember him carving and playing with some of these back in the early 60's, mostly the bear and the wolf. I believe he made most of these in the 40's and 50's.
My grandmother was a very demanding Russian immigrant and my grandfather a stubborn German. My mom said when they weren't exactly seeing eye to eye, grandpa would retreat to the basement for a smoke, drink and to carve until things cooled down.
Here are a few of his carvings and a wagon he made.
SF

See less See more
#7 ·
Nate,
Yes, those were carved in Tacoma.
He had made a much bigger full size wagon train that my aunt donated to the Washington State museum in Tacoma.
I've been meaning to go by there to see if I can find it to take some pictures of it.
Brian

#11 ·
You know I worked at the Oregon Historical Society as their exhibit designer for 22 years, then later I worked for regional museums as afreelance exhibit guy...You should call the Tacoma museum first and arrange the visit...This is why...Often when something is donated and accessioned into the collection it is stored for a long time until some curator decides whatever the item would be a perfect fit for exhibiting ...All to often in stories past Aunt Mildrid might have donated things years ago and descendants know about it and decide one day to drop by unannounced to see Aunt Mildrids stuff on display....That can be an unpleasant experience for all involved... so call and arrange a visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.