Your favorite rod.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DanielOcean, Jul 9, 2013.

1. chief

chief Active Member

Talking trout rods, my first "nice" rod was a Fenwick Feralite that I used for many years. Then in the early 80's I got my first graphite rod, a 5wt Sage GFL, and that became my new favorite. I fished that rod so much I had to have it refinished. Then in the early 90's I picked up a Sage 7' 11" 4wt LL, and a 9' 5wt LL, and they became my new favorites. A few years later a friend let me fish with his 5wt Sage SP, and I loved it, so I picked one up and the 5wt LL saw less use. Then sometime in the 2000's Winston introduced the Biix rods, and my girlfriend had one in a 6wt, and when I cast it it was buttery smooth. She got me one for my birthday that year (she is now my wife for good reason), and it became my new favorite. Then a couple of years ago Hardy came out with the Zenith Sintrix rods, and I picked up a 5wt. It is an amazing rod. Powerful, delicate, light, strong. Definitely my new favorite. I don't imagine anything can be better. I still use almost all my rods now and again, but the 2 that stand out as all time favorites are the 7'11" LL and the Hardy. And yes, the first step is admitting you have a problem.....

Eric Denny likes this.
  2. Ryan Bradfield

Ryan Bradfield Member

isnt the winston SX very heavy in the hand?i see the rod weights are very high.

3. I have a boner

4. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

1/2 oz. or so heavier than the Sage One, but hardly noticeable. Note that the Hatch is 6.5 oz. so this isn't a lightweight setup...it's a salty 6 with saltwater components that I'm comfortable casting with all day.

5. Ryan Bradfield

Ryan Bradfield Member

how does the action compare to the One?

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

My favorite rod is the one working for the species of fish I'm chasing. Trout, small mouth, bluegill, large mouth, shad, steelhead, salmon, rock bass, dorado, suckers... One rod doesn't cover them all... except for maybe the suckers.

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

SCott fiber touch 2 wt

Loomis IMX 4 wt

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

9' 6" 6 wt 3 pc orvis osprey superfine from 1981. I built one of these in 81 and caught everything from trout to steelhead. a little to light for big steel over 10 pounds so had to start using a 8 wt. for that use.I broke the rod I built while light line steelheading with a spinning reel on it in about 86, than it got stolen. I just had orvis build me one on the hydro's saltwater reel-seat and components and now use it most for indi fishing.

The rod is a noodle that flex's to the handle on most larger trout so is very forgiving on tippets. I have tried to like newer rods and gone through buying and testing a bunch but always seem to go back to the original superfines of the 80's. like my friend says, he can get a bombing sage fast rod and we can cast side by side and how he says it is, that I can take a limp noodle and out cast him LMAO! CASTING RODS ARE CASTING RODS AND FISHING RODS ARE FISHING RODS TO ME, and I like fishing rods!

We down lined an older 8' 1/2" 6 wt. HMG with a GPX 5 wt. line a couple years ago and it was a dream to cast. I guess I'm just stuck in the 80's although I did just purchase a 9' 6" 6 wt. RPL in like new condition that I have not fished yet, I figure it will be my bomber for lake trout, but after test casting in the park I already know it will never fight fish like the Osprey does! TO EACH HIS OWN!

9. John Weston

John Weston Member

I have only one rod. Dawia 7#, 7'. bought it in 1973. it's all I use and have caught a lot of different fish on it. yes, I would like too have some different ones but I can't afford em. so I will stick with what I got. I do look around for older use ones but haven't found one I like. I am thinking about re doing this one and putting on new guides with some nice thread and reel holder. great thread. tight lines

Outlaw

10. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

My most recent has become my favorite.
    A board member posted his 'garage sale' last August.
    I picked up a Loomis GL3 963 and an Abel TR1 with line.
    Has quickly become my favorite stick.

11. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

It's worth remembering that the term 'heavy' is highly relative when talking about fly rods. Not too long ago before the introduction of today's tubular plastic 'soda straw' rods, pretty much everybody fished bamboo rods which are made from solid wood.

For example, a 'lightweight' Granger Special 9' 3-piece for 5wt weighed 5.1 oz. And that's for the blank alone, not counting the guides, grip or reel seat.

Yet somehow back then people not only managed to fish them all day long, they caught more and bigger fish than we do today. It's all a matter of perspective.

K

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nice set-up Jon!

13. porterHause

It's hard to compare the two. The Winston is like buttah (not quite room temperature butter). For a "fast" action rod it still loads well down into the butt, and rewards you with that "oh yeah" feeling. The One is much stiffer at the tip.

14. porterHause

Thanks Brian! To save the tax return dollars, or spend them...that was the question. The answer is obvious lol.

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I have three Fenwicks. Each of a different vintage & each of different materials, and they are all "6 wts." Each one is a 2 pc, but a completely different animal from the others. 8' glass ferralite (circa 1965, my first flyrod), a 9' boron that I picked up "used," and a 9'9" graphite "Iron Feather" that I also bought "used."
    I like these rods, and probably won't sell 'em.
    The Iron Feather would be much improved if I replaced the handle with a new one that has fighting butt.

However,the rod I use the most is my 9' TFO 4 wt, 4-pc Jim Teeny model. Strong lower half and fairly fast action...is a decent nymphing and streamer rod. It feels more like a 5 wt, and casts most 4 wt and 5 wt lines with ease. It feels well-matched to battle with a 15" or 16" cutthroat, or a 20" Satsop Springs stocker 'bow. A 10" or 12" trout can still put a good bend in it, but I think I could handle a summer steelhead with this rod no problem.
    If I had to use only one of my current rods for all-round trout fishing and river fishing, this would be it. It has typical TFO lousy cork for the handle, so I don't have to worry about it.
    I don't have a reel that I really like that is matched with this rod. I've been using 3 different reels on it, and the reel I use on it most often has 3 spools, each loaded with a 5 wt line (has decent disk drag, but no clicker...silent running...I'd take this reel to BC for lake fishing, to help avoid Loons). The other reels have 4 wt lines. I even fished it with my Medalist 1594 loaded with a 6 wt Cortland 333+ full sink, and was able to cast that line a good 40' +, and I am the worst of the worst casters on this forum.:D