Zen-like fishing experience.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Hicks, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Is there a lot of snagging or are the fish actually taking flies/lures?

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Yes, snagging, lining, snatching, flossing- the whole gambit. Every year they write citations, make arrests, it is an ongoing problem.

3. flyfis4fun

flyfis4fun New Member

Contrast that picture to this one from a trip I took this fall. Hm...now which one would I prefer. :p

4. davew

davew Member

I fished it a couple of seasons while living nearby. The number of salmon and steelhead in that river is hard to believe. And yes, they do bite, although the snaggers who think otherwise are all over the place. When the salmon are done and the snow flies, the crowds clear out and it's an amazing place for steelhead.

On a side note, straying hatchery steelhead on that river have created a self sustaining "wild" run of fish. If I remember right, about 40% of the steelhead in the river came from the gravel. That makes an interesting counterpoint to the argument here that hatchery fish can't reproduce in the wild.

Here's a description:

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_map_06_NY_SalmonRiver

"It's a spectacular fishery, an absolutely spectacular fishery," said Steve La Pan, NY DEC Lake Ontario unit leader. He said last year's catch included 89,448 kings caught and 26,000 kept.

That's nearly three times as many fall kings as were caught at the mouth of Oregon and Washington state's Columbia River, one of the best (and most hyped) runs on the West Coast

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    the zen of combat fishing...
    Those statistics are amazing...who'da thunk it.
    Man, I'd love to see an underwater movie of Bob freakin out in a pack of kings....where's Cousteau when you need him?:rofl:

6. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

'elbows And A$$ Holes' Is The Correct Terminoligy. Looks Like The Washougal At Oaks Park.

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Bob with a turkey baster molesting Kings!!!! Now I'd pay for that! :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:

8. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

I heard they outlawed the weigghted treble hooks in the last couple years.
    you can easily get away from those crowds and find some less crowded areas to fish. not so much concentration of fish, but stil plenty to catch. the salmon river has fly-only section, too.
    great steelhead fishing in the dead of winter with multiple fish days common